A €36,000 funding package has been announced for the iCARE charity in Buncrana.The parent-run autism support centre will be provided with vital finance from the Health Service Executive (HSE) this year.The allocation was welcomed as good news by Donegal Minister Joe McHugh, who said that the HSE are working to create a Service Level Agreement with ICARE for more secure funding in the future. Minister McHugh said: “This is really good news today for the iCARE group in Buncrana and all of their staff and volunteers. They work they do on a daily basis is immense.“Most importantly it is good news and an assurance for the children and parents who use the services iCARE offer.“I raised the question of funding for iCARE with Minister for Disability Issues Finian McGrath when I met him on Wednesday evening. I was also keen to stress about how vital a role the charity plays.”Minister McHugh said that the €36,000 grant is an important recognition of the place that iCARE has in Inishowen and all of the services that it provides. He added: “I hope that the funding will go some way to giving everyone connected with iCARE the certainty and assurance that they deserve for the year ahead.“It is also good to hear that the HSE are working to create a Service Level Agreement with iCARE to put the arrangements and connections with the charity on a more formal footing.”Breaking: Funding package granted to iCARE Buncrana was last modified: February 25th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Vialli consortium pull out of talks with Sampdoriaby Carlos Volcano18 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveGianluca Vialli’s consortium has pulled out of talks with Sampdoria.Vialli had been heading the Calcioinvest consortium, which included Jamie Dinan and Alex Knaster as backers.The group say Samp president Massimo Ferrero is asking too much.A released statement read:“At the end of a long and careful due diligence process, carried out with enthusiasm and professionalism, Calcioinvest considered the current financial demands to be excessive.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
APTN National NewsA forum of university presidents and Indigenous leaders from across the country is underway in Saskatoon.They’re looking at how post-secondary institutions can implement recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.APTN’s Jaydon Flett has the story.
Icelandair is dropping its $18 million purchase of financially troubled Wow Air, a rival Iceland-based budget airline that touts cheap flights between the U.S. and Europe.Icelandair Group said Thursday it’s unlikely terms of the Nov. 5 deal could be met in time for a shareholder meeting scheduled for Friday.Wow faces a challenging outlook as a stand-alone carrier. Earlier this week, it returned four planes to leasing companies in a move it called a necessary restructuring.Airlines have faced pressure from higher fuel prices for most of this year until a very recent slide in oil prices.Icelandair’s interim president, Bogi Nils Bogason, calls the deal’s collapse disappointing. Wow CEO and founder Skuli Mogensen says trying to pull off the deal in just a few weeks was ambitious.The Associated Press
MOBERLY LAKE, B.C. – The Saulteau First Nations have been recognized by the Province through the Minister’s Award for Innovation and Excellence in Woodlot Management for the North.Woodlot licences are small, area-based tenures managed by individuals, groups or First Nations that generate jobs in planning, harvesting, road construction and maintenance, reforestation, silviculture and small-scale timber processing.B.C. has 857 active woodlots, which generate about $200 million of economic activity for the province every year. Operated by John Stokmans, the Province said that the stand density and productivity of the woodlot is above average and achieved without using herbicides. The First Nation has held the woodlot since 1990.“Saulteau First Nations have clearly shown innovation and strong, sound forest management,” said Doug Donaldson, Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development. “Their consideration for wildlife and non-timber values, while maintaining high woodlot productivity, is a job well done.”The Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development said that the Firt Nation’s innovation extends to buying a flock of sheep and mobile pens and employing two full-time shepherds to aid in the removal of unwanted foliage. The high values placement of moose habitat management, wildlife tree retention and support of Treaty 8 rights to hunt and trap was also mentioned by the government as reasons the First Nation received the award.“Despite many silvicultural difficulties and other arduous challenges, Saulteau First Nations and John Stokmans have persevered and managed a woodlot that is a model for others to follow,” said Scott Fraser, Minister of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation. “Their woodlot provides jobs for members of their nations, is operated with environmental impacts front of mind and is an added revenue stream for the Saulteau peoples.”“Congratulations to Saulteau First Nations. It hasn’t been an easy road for them, but they are proof of what can be accomplished with some ingenuity and determination,” said Jeff Beale, president of the Federation of British Columbia Woodlot Associations. “I would like to thank their woodlot operator, John Stokmans, for his drive to acquire a small sawmill to enable a squared-log small home and cabin business to be operated by Saulteau First Nations members in their home community, and also for his insightful commentaries on woodlot licence and pest management plans for other woodlot operators in the area.”Award winners not only receive a signed, framed certificate of recognition from the minister, but the recipients also take home $2,500 each for their area awards, with an additional $2,500 going to the Charles Bloom Secondary school for also being named the top performer provincially.
Kolkata: Four buses were burnt to ashes after fire broke out at Krishnanagar bus terminus on Thursday night. Two more buses were damaged partially in the incident. The cause of fire is still unknown.According to sources, around 40 buses were parked at the said bus terminus on Thursday night. Later at around 12 am, some drivers and staff members saw a bus inside the terminus catch fire. Police and fire brigade were immediately informed. But before firefighters could reach the spot, fire had spread to three more buses. Three fire tenders were pressed into action and the blaze was brought under control after two hours. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaSome locals alleged that the burning of the buses might have been intentional but police have not found any clue which can substantiate the allegation. Firefighters suspect that the fire might have occurred due to heat in the engine or short-circuit in the battery. Some bus drivers stated that before the fire broke out, staff members of the said bus were cooking food inside the bus using a kerosene stove. From there, the fire somehow touched the bus and burnt it down. However, the exact cause of fire can only be ascertained after a mechanical checkup. Sources have informed that a forensic test will be done for the same.
NEW DELHI: AAP’s East Delhi candidate Atishi demanded a ban on Gautam Gambhir’s campaigning for 72 hours as he repeatedly ‘violated’ the Model Code of Conduct. In a letter to the Returning Officer of East Delhi seat, she said Gambhir held a rally in J-K Block of Dilshad Garden on Sunday morning without permission from Election Commission and demanded a 72-hour ban on him from campaigning.”The rally held by him is in violation of Model Code of Conduct. This is the second such violation by him in the last three days which makes him a repeated offender,” she said in her letter. “In the light of repeated willful violation, I request you to register an FIR against him and to bar him from campaigning for 72hours. I hope you will not only act swiftly on my complaint but act in a manner that serves a strong deterrent for all who willfully violate Model Code of Conduct,” Atishi said. Also Read – Odd-Even: CM seeks transport dept’s views on exemption to women, two wheelers, CNG vehiclesDelhi Police on Saturday registered an FIR against Gambhir for holding a rally in Jangpura without prior permission from the Election Commission. Meanwhile, she also criticised her Bharatiya Janata Party rival Gautam Gambhir after he claimed that she has no vision for the development of the constituency. “In four-and-a-half years, AAP government built two new schools of excellence, two talent schools, two university campuses, 25 mohalla clinics in East Delhi and 32 are under construction,” she tweeted. “Hundreds of new jobs. Tell us about your vision too,” she wrote. Also Read – More good air days in Delhi due to Centre’s steps: JavadekarThe AAP leader also asked the former cricketer what he had done in the last five years for East Delhi that the BJP had given him the ticket. Marlena claimed that no voter would get to choose Gambhir as he would be disqualified soon. “It is possible Gautam Gambhir that I do not have vision, but at least, every vote I get will not be in vain!” Marlena tweeted. “No voter in East Delhi will vote for you, because your nomination will get cancelled. So by voting for a disqualified candidate, no votes will be wasted.” However, Gambhir reportedly said that he possesses only one voter identity card. “I have only one voter ID card from Rajender Nagar,” the BJP candidate said. “I used to live with my maternal grandparents as a child at Ramjas Road [in Karol Bagh] but I never voted from or applied for any voter identity card from there,” he added.
Al-Qaeda-linked militants took control of the central areas of the city of Fallujah in Iraq, an Al Arabiya correspondent reported on Saturday.The reports came as a senior security official in the western Anbar province said the Iraqi government had lost control of the city to the militants.“Fallujah is under the control of ISIL,” the official said, referring to al-Qaeda-linked group the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. The al-Qaeda fighters have seized military equipment provided by the U.S. Marines to Fallujah police, whose headquarters have been taken over, Uthman Mohamed, a local reporter in the city in Iraq’s western Anbar province, told Bloomberg news agency.On Saturday, there was no sign of government forces inside Fallujah, and most of the fighting took place on a highway that links the city to Baghdad, Bloomberg reported.Parts of Ramadi and Fallujah, west of Baghdad, have been held by militants for days, harkening back to the years after the 2003 U.S.-led invasion when both cities were insurgent strongholds.Fighting erupted in the Ramadi area Monday, when security forces removed the main anti-government protest camp set up after demonstrations broke out in late 2012 against what Sunni Arabs say is the marginalization and targeting of their community.It then spread to Fallujah, and security forces later withdrew from areas of both cities, leaving them open for ISIL to move in.Fighting between police and allied tribesmen on one side and ISIL militants on the other killed more than 100 people in Ramadi and Fallujah on Friday, security officials said.It was the deadliest single day for Iraq in years.Source: Al Arabiya with AFP