About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Southampton striker Michael Obafemi thrilled with record-breaking goalby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveSouthampton striker Michael Obafemi was left thrilled by his record breaking goal in victory at Huddersfield Town.At 18 years and 169 days he becomes the club’s youngest ever Premier League goalscorer.“It was surreal and I’m thankful to Redders for giving me the assist,” he said. “I should have scored two or three more today but I’m just delighted to have got my first goal.”I’m just speechless, I’m happy that I could do it for such a great club and I’m thankful to everyone that has supported me since the beginning.” He added: “Just before I came on, the manager said to make sure I run and do the basics before anything else and the goal will come. All the lads on the bench were saying just show what I can do and that the rest would fall into place.”
Athletic Bilbao confirm they want Man Utd midfielder Herreraby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveAthletic Bilbao have confirmed their interest in Manchester United midfielder Ander Herrera and Tottenham Hotspur striker Fernando Llorente.Sporting director Rafa Alkorta has also listed Javi Martinez and Ibai Gomez as potential signings this month.The La Liga club’s transfer policy limits them to signing Basque players only and Alkorta says they will get to work on any potential transfers this week.”We are interested in Javi Martinez, Ibai [Gomez], Ander Herrera, Llorente…” Alkorta told La Cadena Ser. “It’s obvious that any player that can play for Athletic is of interest to us.”Nothing is easy but we are interested in having all of the ones that can come. We have not made any moves yet. We will start on Tuesday and we will see what can be done.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say
Vialli consortium pull out of talks with Sampdoriaby Carlos Volcano18 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveGianluca Vialli’s consortium has pulled out of talks with Sampdoria.Vialli had been heading the Calcioinvest consortium, which included Jamie Dinan and Alex Knaster as backers.The group say Samp president Massimo Ferrero is asking too much.A released statement read:“At the end of a long and careful due diligence process, carried out with enthusiasm and professionalism, Calcioinvest considered the current financial demands to be excessive.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
Vine/Dan LyonsGrayson Allen has taken on a larger role for Duke in the absence for former Blue Devil Rasheed Sulaimon, and he added an impressive dunk to his highlight reel in tonight’s Final Four game against Michigan State. Allen grabbed a rebound off of his own missed three pointer and rose up for a monster slam. After the play, he flexed at the Blue Devils bench, which got extremely fired up.Allen has six points off the bench for Duke. The Blue Devils have a commanding 54-39 lead over Michigan State midway through the second half.
Manchester United have confirmed to Goal that they are in discussions with a Chinese club over the potential sale of Marouane Fellaini.The Belgian midfielder, who has been a polarising figure during his five-and-a-half years at Old Trafford, has been the subject of links to Shandong Luneng Taishan this week and could be set to leave the Theatre of Dreams.Fellaini was a regular in the matchday squad during Jose Mourinho’s tenure but has made only two substitute appearances in the eight matches of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s reign so far, with Paul Pogba, Nemanja Matic and Ander Herrera solidifying their spots in the first XI. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? And with Solskjaer looking for a faster transition in his United side than had become the norm under Mourinho, he has given the go-ahead to move Fellaini on.The Belgium international, who was a World Cup semi-finalist with his country in 2018, arrived at United from Everton as David Moyes’ only summer signing in 2013 for a fee of around £27.5 million ($36m) but failed to win many fans among the United faithful as his arrival coincided with the club’s fall from grace after the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson.He eventually became a much-trusted member of the squad for first Louis van Gaal and then Mourinho, however, scoring many a vital goal along the way. Most recently, it was his last-minute strike against Young Boys in November which secured United’s route through to the last 16 of the Champions League.Mourinho had initially feared that Fellaini may not remain at the club into the 2018-19 season after the midfielder ran his contract down to its final days, but United announced in late June that Fellaini had penned a new two-year deal.However, the 31-year-old now appears set to leave the club just seven months on, with the Chinese transfer window remaining open until February 28 ahead of the 2019 Chinese Super League getting underway.As such, United will be permitted to sell beyond the end of the European transfer deadline of January 31, giving Fellaini’s suitors a four-week window to complete a deal for a man who has donned the United shirt 177 times and scored 22 goals.
Former AC Milan chief executive Marco Fassone claimed Cristiano Ronaldo was open to moving to San Siro before eventually joining Serie A champions Juventus last season.Ronaldo swapped Real Madrid for Juve in a blockbuster €112 million (£102m/$124m) deal ahead of the 2018-19 season, however, there was apparent interest from Milan prior to the transfer.Ex-sporting director Massimiliano Mirabelli claimed Ronaldo was on the brink of signing for Milan before the former ownership – led by Li Yonghong – blocked the deal prior to hedge fund Elliott Management assuming control of the Italian team. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? And Fassone, who followed Mirabelli out of Milan following the takeover in July last year, backed up those claims.”The president wanted Cristiano Ronaldo, but the figures told us this was inadvisable,” Fassone told Sportitalia.”Ronaldo was open to evaluating the opportunity, as Milan are a famous club and there was enthusiasm around us.”However, we never went beyond some internal calculations and seeing if he was potentially open to it.”The former ownership group oversaw a period of big spending, with Leonardo Bonucci’s shock €42m arrival from Juve headlining a 2017-18 window which also included the signings of Andre Silva, Hakan Calhanoglu, Andrea Conti, Mateo Musacchio, Ricardo Rodriguez, Lucas Biglia, Franck Kessie, Nikola Kalinic and Fabio Borini.Bonucci only spent one season in Milan before the Italy defender returned to Turin and Fassone admitted the deal was ill-advised.”Bonucci was a mistake,” Fassone said.“When we signed Bonucci from Juventus, we’d already made eight or nine buys. The strategy was to create a squad suited to 4-3-3, so we already had the defenders and really didn’t need another. What we were missing was a centre-forward, for whom we had €70m set aside.”The choice we made in the end was to reduce the budget for the striker and sign a leader for the dressing room. With hindsight, if we had just invested in a top forward as was the plan, it would’ve gone differently.”Milan signed Portuguese forward Silva from Porto that window, and they were also linked with Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang before he left Borussia Dortmund for Arsenal.”Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang was a target, as Mirabelli was always a fan,” Fassone said. “However, it’s complicated to deal with German clubs. The demands were higher than his real value on the market.”Milan are preparing for the 2019-20 season under new head coach Marco Giampaolo after Gennaro Gattuso stepped down following the club’s fifth-place finish last term.
MORGANTOWN, WV – DECEMBER 03: The West Virginia Mountaineer mascot interacts with fans in the final moments of the West Virginia Mountaineers 24-21 win over the Baylor Bears at Mountaineer Field on December 3, 2016 in Morgantown, West Virginia. (Photo by Justin Berl/Getty Images)West Virginia is searching for a new head football coach in the wake of Dana Holgorsen’s impending departure to Houston.There appears to be a frontrunner for the Mountaineers’ gig already.Troy head coach Neal Brown is being mentioned by most analysts as the No. 1 candidate for the West Virginia job.“Go get Neal Brown, West Virginia. You’re welcome,” tweeted USA TODAY’s Dan Wolken.Go get Neal Brown, West Virginia. You’re welcome.— Dan Wolken (@DanWolken) January 1, 2019“This should be this simple,” added Ralph D. Russo of the Associated Press.This should be this simple. https://t.co/aIjveM4afq— Ralph D. Russo (@ralphDrussoAP) January 1, 2019A couple of other big names have been mentioned for the job – former West Virginia head coach Rich Rodriguez, former Tennessee head coach Butch Jones – but Brown seems to be the favorite.“If and when Dana Holgorsen officially leaves #WVU I’m hearing athletic director Shane Lyons will act quickly and #Troy’s Neal Brown will be at or near the top of his list. #Cincinnati’s Luke Fickell also could be in the mix. Both would be excellent hires,” ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg tweeted.If and when Dana Holgorsen officially leaves #WVU I’m hearing athletic director Shane Lyons will act quickly and #Troy’s Neal Brown will be at or near the top of his list. #Cincinnati’s Luke Fickell also could be in the mix. Both would be excellent hires.— Adam Rittenberg (@ESPNRittenberg) January 1, 2019This is a coaching search that could move quickly.Stay tuned.
Asian News International MelbourneFebruary 14, 2019UPDATED: February 14, 2019 13:24 IST Mary Waldron played for Ireland in last year’s ICC Women’s World T20 (Photo tweeted by @maryolo81)HIGHLIGHTSEloise Sheridan and Mary Waldron will officiate in a men’s first grade premier cricket match in AdelaideSheridan and Waldron will stand in a match between Tea Tree Gully and Northern DistrictsWaldron will be officiating in her first men’s grade matchUmpires Eloise Sheridan and Mary Waldron are on the verge of making history as they will be the first women duo to officiate in a men’s first grade premier (club) cricket match, this weekend.Sheridan and Waldron will stand in a match between Tea Tree Gully and Northern Districts in Adelaide featuring Australia vice-captain Travis Head.For Sheridan, officiating in a men’s cricket match is not something new as she stood as an umpire in a South Australian Premier Cricket first grade game, 18 months ago. Earlier, she and NSW umpire Claire Polosak officiated in a Women’s Big Bash League match between the Adelaide Strikers and Melbourne Stars to be the first female pair to officiate a professional match in Australia.Waldron, on the other hand, will be officiating in her first men’s grade match. She played for Ireland in last year’s International Cricket Council (ICC) T20 World Cup and was also a professional football player.”To have so many firsts for female umpires in our State in recent times has been wonderful to see. This achievement for Eloise and Mary is very significant as an Australian first and speaks volumes about how hard they have both worked on their development over the past few seasons,” cricket.com.au quoted SACA State Umpire Coach Daniel Goodwin, as saying.”Our umpires are all appointed to matches on merit and both women are very deserving of the position they are in and the opportunities that are being presented to umpire high-level games,” Goodwin added.advertisementAlso Watch:For sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byJepher Nickels Tags :Follow Mary WaldronFollow Eloise Sheridan Eloise Sheridan and Mary Waldron first women umpire duo to officiate men’s matchUmpires Eloise Sheridan and Mary Waldron set to become the first women duo to officiate in a men’s first grade premier (club) cricket match. The duo will stand in a match between Tea Tree Gully and Northern Districts in Adelaide featuring Australia vice-captain Travis Head.advertisement
Asian News International St LuciaMarch 5, 2019UPDATED: March 5, 2019 10:50 IST Jason Holder will lead West Indies in a three-match T20I series at home against England (AP Photo)HIGHLIGHTSBroadcasters Sky have declined to pay for the two-match T20I series between England and the West IndiesSky are arguing that they have paid a heavy amount for the rest of the tour which was originally scheduled to contain just one T20IThe matches will still be brodcasted in the UK. Cricket West Indies could refuse to allow Sky access to their picturesCricket West Indies look all set to take a substantial financial hit after Sky declined to pay for the two T20I games in St Kitts this weekend.The value of such type of games is usually around US$1million each, but neither of the matches were part of the package that was agreed when the broadcast deal was made several years ago resulting in the reluctance of Sky to pay anywhere near that amount, as per ESPN Cricinfo.Sky are arguing that they have paid a heavy amount for the rest of the tour which was originally scheduled to contain just one T20I.The matches will still be brodcasted in the UK. Cricket West Indies could refuse to allow Sky access to their pictures. The board is providing the cameras, the crew and the feed, they are prepared to compromise their relationship with either their sponsors or theSt Kitts government meaning Sky could end up broadcasting the games for next to no cost.If this happens, Cricket West Indies could live stream the matches on Youtube, Twitter and through their own website.The series against England has not been a smooth ride for West Indies management as they delayed the announcement of the T20 squad after some board members resisted the decision to retain the ODI squad under Jason Holder as captain. West Indies were able to hold off England in a fivematch ODI series at 2-2.The team would be hoping to win the series against England in the T20 format. West Indies takes on England in the first T20I of the three-match series on Wednesday, March 06 at St Lucia.advertisementAlso Read | Nagpur ODI: MS Dhoni returns to happy hunting ground amid strong form vs AustraliaAlso Read | West Indies will be a threat to all teams at 2019 World Cup: Dwayne BravoAlso See:For sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byAkshay Ramesh Tags :Follow West Indies vs EnglandFollow T20I seriesFollow cricket broadcastersFollow Sky West Indies cricket West Indies vs England: Broadcast dispute to cost Cricket West IndiesWest Indies will host England for a three-match T20I series, starting March 5 in St Lucia. According to the original schedule, the two teams were scheduled to meet in only one T20Iadvertisement
Next India Today Web Desk New DelhiApril 1, 2019UPDATED: April 1, 2019 14:08 IST Naagin 3 actress Anita Hassanandani has been hinting about her pregnancy in cryptic posts.Soap czarina Ekta Kapoor, who recently turned mother to a cute baby boy via surrogacy, has hinted that her friend Anita Hassanandani will follow suit. The maverick producer in her Insta story has posted a pic of Anita standing near her baby’s bed with the caption–Next one????The Naagin 3 actress, who had earlier talked about her plans of having a baby post Naagin 3, has been teasing fans about her pregnancy with cryptic posts. First, she wished husband Rohit Reddy on his birthday and promised him “two cute cute babies soon.” Then she posted pictures sporting a fake baby bump. Turned out it was for the latest track of Naagin 3 where her character Vish is pregnant with villain Hukum’s child. Earlier there were rumours that the couple are trying to have a kid via surrogacy, but Anita squashed the rumours. She said that she will plan a baby only after wrapping up Naagin. “There is no truth in these rumours. We have thought about having a baby, and I plan to have a baby the natural and normal way. Hopefully, if things go as planned, we might have a baby next year. I have been busy with two TV shows, and workwise, I wanted to be free when I have a child. I don’t want a hectic work schedule when I get pregnant. So, once my ongoing fantasy drama ends, the plan is to start thinking about a family,” Anita had told Hindustan Times in an interview.”When it happens, motherhood will surely change my life like it changes the lives of mothers all around the world. I am looking forward to it as I am really excited about having a baby. So, whenever it happens for me, I will give my 100 per cent. Motherhood will be an important phase in my life,” she added.advertisementAlso read | Naagin 3’s Vish aka Anita Hassanandani pregnant with twins? Here’s what she saidGet real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Tags :Follow Ekta KapoorFollow Anita Hassanandani Has new mom Ekta Kapoor dropped a hint about Anita Hassanandani’s pregnancy?Naagin 3 actress Anita Hassanandani’s cryptic posts about her pregnancy have left her fans intrigued.advertisement